Most parenting magazines don't have articles on single moms, and when they do it's definitely of no use to me.
I began this new journey in January of '08. I had been feeling ill for some time and assumed it was from the stress I was under caring for my dying father, and eventually having to bury him. One morning I decided I couldn't take it anymore,and since I didn't have a family doctor I dragged myself to the ER. The nurse asked when my last menstrual cycle was ( a typical question) My response " I can't remember." The nurse decided to do a pregnancy test which was ok because there was no way that was the problem. She comes back several minutes later with the intervenes drip and starts hooking it up. At this point she isn't talking so I make the first move "did you do the test?" "yes" "so it was negative right?,just like I thought" "NO it was positive." At this point I'm asking her to repeat that statement because clearly she has made a mistake. She repeated the same thing and asked if there was anyone I'd like her to call. I just buried the best friend I ever had , I had only been dating the father for a few months and told him " I don't want anything serious" so my answer was no.
After the doctor left I continued to lay on the bed dumbfounded. I was obviously in a bad dream,what was in that drink?? After pinching myself several times I cried, not because I pinched myself really hard and it hurt (which it did) but because I was pregnant and alone. I stared up at the ceiling and said "daddy this isn't funny."You see my dad always wanted me to have a daughter. Maybe it was to make up for his tomboy daughter that he got stuck with *grin*In the coming months I would learn my dad got his wish.
So begins my journey into the very scary unsure world of being a single parent. In these blogs you will read about all the good all the funny and all the bad.So prepare yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment